Tuesday, February 17, 2015
Wednesday, February 11, 2015
Tuesday, February 10, 2015
Monday, February 2, 2015
April 18 - 19, 2015
Festival of Books Volunteer Program
Repost from The Los Angeles Times Website
Thank you for your interest in volunteering for the Los Angeles Times Festival of Books.
The Festival of Books began in 1996 with a simple goal: Bring together the people who create books and the people who love to read them. The Festival was an immediate success and has become Southern California's major literary event, now celebrating its 20th year! The 2015 Festival will be held on Saturday, April 18 and Sunday, April 19 at the University of Southern California and we would love to have you join us as a volunteer.
Last year 153,500 people attended the Festival, which featured over a hundred ticketed author events, children’s storytelling, poetry readings, book signings and nearly 500 exhibitor booths. The Festival’s success has been due in part to the generous assistance of volunteers who welcomed attendees, assisted with registration, staffed author events, supervised book signings and much more.
Some details about volunteering:
- Volunteers must be 18 years of age or older. You cannot bring children under the age of 18 with you during your shift.
- Volunteers will receive free parking, shuttle service from the parking lot, and lunch.
- We will provide t-shirts for volunteers to wear and keep after the event. (Please wear khaki, or beige pants or shorts.)
- The majority of volunteer activities require being on your feet for most of your shift. Please wear comfortable shoes.
- Volunteer shifts last 3 - 4 hours, and you may sign up for as many shifts as you wish for one or both days. You may sign up for overlapping shifts and work the duration of the hours for those shifts.
- If you're flexible as to when you can work, when you sign up online, indicate which shifts you could work, and check the box indicating you'll work any ONE of the shifts indicated. If you'd like to work multiple shifts, check the box indicating you'll work ALL shifts selected.
- Most volunteer positions are assigned when you check-in on the day of event. There are a few assignemnts with special time requirements (author escorts, registration, etc.) that you can express interest in as part of the online registration process.
If you are a volunteer with strong leadership qualities, you might be interested in our Bookworm program. This program rewards volunteers who provide leadership and commitment above and beyond the norm. Bookworms will be selected from those volunteers who agree to serve as Area Captains for an entire day of the Festival and attend a special training session. Bookworm roles include managing panel rooms, taking charge of Information Booths, supervising volunteers at Booksignings and other leadership activities. In addition to receiving a special shirt to wear at the Festival and other perks, Bookworms will be recognized in the Festival of Books program. While most Bookworms are veteran volunteers of the Festival of Books, we will still consider your interest if you are a first-time volunteer. If you wish to be considered as a bookworm for the first time, in addition to filling out the online application linked below, please email a resume that tells us a bit about your work experience. If selected, you will be notified by the first week in March.
If you experience any difficulties registering online please email us or call the volunteer hotline at (213) 237-6503 and leave a message. Further information about the Festival of Books and other L.A. Times events is available on the Los Angeles Times Signature Events page. For any specific volunteer-related questions, e-mail Larry Deckel, Volunteer Coordinator.
After you have registered, full information about volunteering, including a map and parking passes for both orientation and the day(s) of event will be sent to you via U.S. mail the during the first week of April.